Looking for a Microsoft person who can help w/ v6 and Office365 email

Bill Owens owens.bill at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 12:07:33 CEST 2015

On Thu, Apr 2, 2015 at 3:38 AM, Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm at ipinc.net> wrote:

> I guess I don't understand why this is an IPv6 issue.
>
> You said:
>
> "...we've discovered that there are sporadic failures even when there are
valid SPF records...""

> If there are sporadic failures internally in Microsoft how can they
> guarantee that those sporadic failures will go away if you change to
> IPv4?

It's an IPv6 issue because Microsoft has made it their policy to require
SPF (or DKIM) for mail that arrives over IPv6 transport, and not for mail
that arrives over IPv4. This particular topic was brought up a few months
ago: https://www.mail-archive.com/ipv6-ops@lists.cluenet.de/msg01549.html
 It's also documented by Microsoft themselves:
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn720852%28v=exchg.150%29.aspx
 And apparently the MAAWG agrees, for whatever that's worth:
https://www.m3aawg.org/sites/maawg/files/news/M3AAWG_Inbound_IPv6_Policy_Issues-2014-09.pdf

So yes, I can guarantee that the problem will go away by changing to IPv4.
​ ​
I could therefore 'fix' the problem by simply admitting defeat.
​ ​
I don't want to do that, because I want to move towards IPv6 ;)

I *could* also solve the problem by switching to Google, because although
they check SPF for IPv6 their internal policies are somewhat different and
much more forgiving. But before moving on to that question I'd like to see
whether it's possible to get Microsoft to work a little harder on fixing
their problem(s).

> You called Microsoft and gave their support team a fair chance to fix
> the problem.  They didn't.  Cut your losses and move on.  There are
> plenty of other cloud providers who are offering email that works.  By
the time Microsoft finally fixes O365 you will be retired and so will I.

I think I've been more than fair, especially when the standard refrain from
their support people appears to be "this service doesn't really work, you
should stop using it." And let me be clear that I didn't choose Office365
and don't recommend it. However, it isn't my sole decision; the IT function
in our company does not report to me. And the choice to out-source email
has a number of drivers that aren't relevant at this point.

Like I said, I do want to work harder with Microsoft to get this fixed,
both for us and for anyone else who would like to use v6 transport for
their Outlook365 email. I just need to find someone within Microsoft who is
also willing to work at it.

Bill.

​PS - I'm only 47, so I hope that I can see widespread IPv6 adoption before
I retire ;)​