Why used DHCPv6 when RA has RDNSS and DNSSL?

Lorenzo Colitti lorenzo at google.com
Wed Apr 1 16:31:21 CEST 2020

On Wed, Apr 1, 2020 at 9:12 PM <sthaug at nethelp.no> wrote:

> We are already 90% of the way here: Make IA_PD work for hosts, not
> just for routers. That way Android handsets can have as many addresses
> as they want.

DHCPv6 PD is one of the means suggested by RFC 7934, yes. I'm not sure that
the folks asking for IA_NA would be happy with IA_PD though. The reason
most often cited for wanting DHCPv6 is that it fits well with tracking
practices and systems that are built to support on-request addressing and
networks assigning individual IP address(es) to devices. DHCPv6 PD provides
request-based addressing, but it wouldn't do much to interoperate with
those tracking systems because they deal with addresses, not subnets. From
that perspective, ND snooping might be more likely to interoperate well.