Why used DHCPv6 when RA has RDNSS and DNSSL?

sthaug at nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Wed Apr 1 16:56:21 CEST 2020

>> We are already 90% of the way here: Make IA_PD work for hosts, not
>> just for routers. That way Android handsets can have as many addresses
>> as they want.
>
> DHCPv6 PD is one of the means suggested by RFC 7934, yes. I'm not sure that
> the folks asking for IA_NA would be happy with IA_PD though. The reason
> most often cited for wanting DHCPv6 is that it fits well with tracking
> practices and systems that are built to support on-request addressing and
> networks assigning individual IP address(es) to devices. DHCPv6 PD provides
> request-based addressing, but it wouldn't do much to interoperate with
> those tracking systems because they deal with addresses, not subnets. From
> that perspective, ND snooping might be more likely to interoperate well.

Well, I work for one othe ISPs who would *love* to use DHCPv6 PD. Yes,
we'd have to make some modest changes to systems to handle prefixes
instead of individual addresses. But we'd be happy to just track IPv6
prefixes and *not* have to track individual addresses.

Our estimates is that the work to incorporate such a change (handling
IPv6 prefixes) would be significantly less than doing ND snooping and
similar in all relevant boxes and systems. YMMV.

Steinar Haug, AS2116