IPv6 ingress filtering

Gert Doering gert at space.net
Fri May 17 23:28:54 CEST 2019

Hi,

On Sat, May 18, 2019 at 08:06:00AM +1200, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
> And surely the question is "What would produce the most help desk calls?".
> Filtering something that is presumably working for its remaining users
> might not be a good idea from that point of view.

Oh, since those are not *my* users, it's not my helpdesk.

Which is, annoyingly enough, the grand problem with IPv6 anyway -
"someone messing up their v6" will inevitably cause helpdesk calls
*elsewhere*.

Like this beauty discovered by someone today:

$ host -t aaaa bayerwaldhof.de
bayerwaldhof.de has IPv6 address ::

... the helpdesk calls will happen on the dual-stacked ISP side,
not on the messed-up content side...

Those that stick to v4-only are usually spared any helpdesk calls.

*sigh*

Gert Doering
        -- NetMaster

SpaceNet AG                      Vorstand: Sebastian v. Bomhard, Michael Emmer
Joseph-Dollinger-Bogen 14        Aufsichtsratsvors.: A. Grundner-Culemann
D-80807 Muenchen                 HRB: 136055 (AG Muenchen)
Tel: +49 (0)89/32356-444         USt-IdNr.: DE813185279