IPv6 ingress filtering

Marc Blanchet marc.blanchet at viagenie.ca
Tue May 14 17:46:44 CEST 2019

6to4 has been a good transition technology to help deploy IPv6 in the
early days. However, it has intrinsically bad latency issues as its
routing is based on the underlying IPv4, which can be pretty bad for non
6to4 destinations (e.g. normal IPv6 addresses). Moreover, its IPv6 in
IPv4 tunnelling technology is likely to be filtered by various
intermediate devices in the path.  My take is that we shall declare 6to4
over and dead, thank you very much for your service. So I would suggest
to filter it. If not, users may get latency issues that will go into
support calls unncessarily.

Marc.