question regarding over the counter devices

Florian Lohoff f at zz.de
Mon Mar 6 12:11:53 CET 2017

On Mon, Mar 06, 2017 at 11:41:54AM +0100, Gert Doering wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Mar 06, 2017 at 11:37:30AM +0100, Florian Lohoff wrote:
> > Nevertheless - As an ISP i would never enable IPv6 for Customers
> > without beeing shure that they are aware.
> >
> > - Deploy IPv6 Dualstack from some point in time and making it clear
> >   in your paperwork.
> > - Make it an option for legacy users to opt in.
> > - After some time - send emails telling the users
> > - Enable a captive portal for users to let them enable ipv6
>
> This is "last century's process":  wait for customers to ask for IPv6,
> which they will not do, and then you can prove to your management that
> "there is no demand", so you can continue to not roll out v6.
>
> If we ever want to reach the point when we can stop bothering with
> IPv4 on the server side, IPv6 needs to be on by default on *ALL*
> access.  Not opt-in.  Not "it will take another 20 years".

You cant enable some feature for "Aunt Tilly" without her at least
beeing able to take action. And Aunt Tilly will never be able to take
action after you ship her the CPE. She will not even be able to log into
her CPE. And thats the todays Default customer. You need to tell
them to press the WPS Button to get their Mobile Phone online and they
wont find the button marked "WPS".

So the best bet is that you enable IPv6 for new contracts and shipments
and with the average contract time you age out your legacy products.

This is what Deutsche Telekom did. They bundled there IPv6 deployment
with their VDSL/FTTB deployment. So switching contracts means getting
a newer CPE and Dualstack.

I have been with a large Carrier in .de and we had the transitional
problems and we didnt fix/enable it at all until i left in 2011.
Although we enabled the core of my former employee to IPv6/6PE
and the BRAS were all IPv6 capable we didnt enable it. So around 1.7
million DSL Subscribers without IPv6. I and a few collegues started a
new carrier and we shipped 100% Dualstack but we knew the oldest Software
of our CPEs and we new the features. So it was much easier.

You need to start somewhere and the non-tier1 carriers with enough
IP Adresses dont even start enabling IPv6 because they have no answer
to the transition scenario.

If you have an existing ADSL deployment for 10 Years you have hundrets
of different customer owned CPEs in the field with a permutation of ALL broken
Software in the world one could imagine. You wont fix that. Enabling
IPv6 unconditionally will swamp your support with all sorts of obscure
Problems e.g. "I suddenly cant print anymore" - Yes - your Printer is ipv4 and your
clients are dualstacked now and Cups is broken as it does not try a
fallback to v4 if v6 fails ...  Been there - Done that.

You are dealing with non technical people. So it must be easy, straight
forward and within their expectations that something changed.

Flo