question regarding over the counter devices

Gert Doering gert at space.net
Mon Mar 6 11:41:54 CET 2017

Hi,

On Mon, Mar 06, 2017 at 11:37:30AM +0100, Florian Lohoff wrote:
> Nevertheless - As an ISP i would never enable IPv6 for Customers
> without beeing shure that they are aware.
>
> - Deploy IPv6 Dualstack from some point in time and making it clear
>   in your paperwork.
> - Make it an option for legacy users to opt in.
> - After some time - send emails telling the users
> - Enable a captive portal for users to let them enable ipv6

This is "last century's process":  wait for customers to ask for IPv6,
which they will not do, and then you can prove to your management that
"there is no demand", so you can continue to not roll out v6.

If we ever want to reach the point when we can stop bothering with
IPv4 on the server side, IPv6 needs to be on by default on *ALL*
access.  Not opt-in.  Not "it will take another 20 years".

Gert Doering
        -- NetMaster

Tel: +49 (0)89/32356-444           USt-IdNr.: DE813185279