v6 naming and shaming - *.europa.eu

Jeroen Massar jeroen at massar.ch
Wed May 18 16:03:08 CEST 2016

On 2016-05-18 15:52, Phil Mayers wrote:
> On 18/05/16 14:29, Jeroen Massar wrote:
>
>> Really, you cannot keep on telling people to finally deploy IPv6, it
>> does not have any effect whatsoever, only their pocket books care and
>> those will only notice when it is too late...
>
> So it's hopeless and we should just give up?

You can keep on trying to fix OTHER people's networks.... but you'll end
up in an abyss at one point...

> That doesn't seem like the most encouraging advice ever, but thanks for
> the reply.

The best advice for getting IPv6 fixed is for a large well used network
(google, facebook) to stop providing IPv4. Then suddenly people will fix
things as they won't have working "Internet" and their users will
complain really really loud.

Till that happens do not hold your breath.

> Anyone else got thoughts on how to discourage half-working/half-broken
> setups which create negative externalities?

Public shaming does not work, that has been tried for a long long time
already.

Contacting people who do not care about their own network does not work
either.

> I'm specifically not asking about encouraging people who haven't
> deployed; rather people who have and who have broken or abandoned their
> efforts.

Understand it this way: they officially claimed 12 years ago to be
launching IPv6 and they have not noticed their own network to be broken...

Technical contacts are badly published and likely won't reply.

Thus... little chance to fix a network that does not want to be reached.

Yes, that is unfortunate, but that is the way it seems to be.

I'll add to that that in the cases of Viruses/Bots and Spam many
networks are already big blackholes for getting these resolved. Either
you do not find a contact or they won't fix it even when they have read
the message. IPv6 is not on these network's priority lists at all...

Greets,
 Jeroen