Netflix hates IPv6

Philip Homburg pch-clue6ops at u-1.phicoh.com
Wed Jun 15 12:13:49 CEST 2016

In your letter dated Wed, 15 Jun 2016 11:12:19 +0200 you wrote:
>The interesting question is why they hand out v6 addresses in the first
>place - I'd assume that Netflix is doing the same global DNS content
>steering thing as all the other big content networks, so they should know
>where the user is coming from...  and if the DNS query is coming from a
>(v4) access network in the US, it seems silly to disallow access to the
>v6 server *they have told the client to use* later on.

Note that people are actively trying to bypass whatever geo restrictions
netflix puts in place. And of course, netflix wants to avoid blocking
legitimate users as much as possible.

So to the extent that DNS is used to implement geo blocking, people will
use DNS resolvers in the desired country to avoid the blocks.

Of course, in the case of HE tunnels, netflix could just add an IPv4-only
option to the users' profiles and redirect people to an IPv4-only server.
I guess they can just offer the redirect as an option whenever they
show the VPN-detected banner for an HE address.