Netflix hates IPv6

Gert Doering gert at space.net
Wed Jun 15 11:12:19 CEST 2016

Hi,

On Wed, Jun 15, 2016 at 10:57:42AM +0200, Townsley.net wrote:
> Apologies if this has already been suggested, but...
>
> How hard would it be for HE to provide a an API for Netflix to query for HE prefixes?
>
> For any given v6 address, HE should have a mapping for the associated (IPv4) tunnel source address readily available. Netflix would query HE and in turn perform the geolocation check based on the tunnel source.
>
> Sure, there's a little work to do here by HE and Netflix, including a UI for user opt-in/out, but for the "honest" tunnel user not trying to circumvent the system, perhaps it's a constructive way forward? (and generally applicable for other providers doing the same)

The interesting question is why they hand out v6 addresses in the first
place - I'd assume that Netflix is doing the same global DNS content
steering thing as all the other big content networks, so they should know
where the user is coming from...  and if the DNS query is coming from a
(v4) access network in the US, it seems silly to disallow access to the
v6 server *they have told the client to use* later on.

Gert Doering
        -- NetMaster

Tel: +49 (0)89/32356-444           USt-IdNr.: DE813185279