Slow WiFi with Android Marshmallow & IPv6?

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Mon Apr 25 09:45:38 CEST 2016

> Ted,
> On 25/04/2016 07:55, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
>> Why Android doesn't support DHCPv6 is detailed here:
>>
>> https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=32621#c53
>
> Yes, we all know Lorenzo's opinion, and the follow-up comments there
> give the opposing opinions.

I've read the follow-ups and am unconvinced.   If Microsquash had not
supported DHCPv6 and used RFC6106 then DHCPv6 would have died a quick
death and we wouldn't be having that argument.

Nothing is stopping anyone from pulling down a copy of cyanogenmod,
adding in dhcpv6, rolling their own Android install, and loading it on
a phone manufactured by a company (like HTC) that is not retarded and
allows you to boot your own distro.   The commentors are trying to
force their view on the rest of the world and they don't own the
brand, here, Google does.

>> They say to use SLAAC and RFC6106.  I happen agree with their reasoning.  It is Microsoft who needs to change, not Google.  The
>> IPv6 standard does not require DHCPv6
>
> Neither does the IPv4 standard, if we're being pedantic.

That is true however I was not being pedantic, I'll be happy to
agree DHCP is a necessity on an IPv4 network.

Just because your Model T required a hand crank in the front
does not mean that my 2000 Ford should come with one.  There is
a time for everything.

> It happens to be preferred by a lot of enterprise network operators, so
> equipment vendors&  o/s really need to support both.

If you are talking corporate operators then screw 'em.

I will point out that Microsoft for years forced these "enterprise
network admins" to do networking things (like SMB) that are retarded.
Now, they are a has-been and it's Google's time to pull the same stuff.
If your not going to complain when Microsoft bends you over and
reams you a new one then you can't complain when Google does it.

> (Also, looking at the history of DHCP and ND/RA, DHCP is not actually
> archaic; it's only about 3 years older than IPv6, and was not generally
> available until after ND/RA was designed. IPv4 was very annoying to deploy
> and prone to fat-finger errors before DHCP was retro-fitted.)

Absolutely but that was IPv4 not IPv6.

>> For those who must run DHCPv6 on Android:
>>
>> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.daduke.realmar.dhcpv6client
>>
>> Now I will also point out something else that affects ISPs - like
>> Comcast (are you listening?) - and probably affected "this Belgian ISP"
>> that Erik is reporting.
>>
>> The issue really isn't what protocol is supported.  The issue is
>> PROPER support of what protocol is selected.
>
> Absolutely correct, which is why I find the Android choice short-sighted.
> Having to install this as an add-on seems very unlikely to produce "PROPER"
> support. The first user comment for that add-on is "Doesn't work. There is not
> enough space in /system...". Duh.

what protocol is selected by the VENDOR not by the customer.  In this
case the customers are used to saying "how high" when Microsoft says
jump and they never complained before.  Now they are learning that they
have to say "how high" when Google says jump.

Maybe these customers will realize they should have been telling
Microsoft that they won't buy their stuff until MS properly supported
NFS and many other things they should have supported ages ago.

They made their bed by allowing the OS vendors to have their way,
now they got to lie in it.

Cry me a river.

Ted