Slow WiFi with Android Marshmallow & IPv6?

James R Cutler james.cutler at consultant.com
Sun Apr 24 23:14:07 CEST 2016

Ted,

> On Apr 24, 2016, at 3:55 PM, Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm at ipinc.net> wrote:

> Now I will also point out something else that affects ISPs - like
> Comcast (are you listening?) - and probably affected "this Belgian ISP"
> that Erik is reporting.
>
> The issue really isn't what protocol is supported.  The issue is
> PROPER support of what protocol is selected.
>
> Take Comcast for example.  They rolled out IPv6 but the last mile
> stinks.  …

Documentation, please.

> But if you are a business you are screwed - because you must use
> their CPE if you want static IPv4 addresses …

Interesting point, but not related to DHCP use.  Also, many business users are in manufacturing and retail, where web sites and mail services are outsourced, thus mooting most requirements for fix IP addressing of any kind.

All,

Finally, as pointed out in many discussions over the last decade or more on mailing lists such as NANOG, the Android Open Source Project - Issue Tracker, and this list, how a network provider chooses to meet the business requirements for network operations is probably not within the purview of any particular device software developer. Separation of functions is a useful concept in any management regime. For many, it makes sense to let routers concentrate on constructing FIBs and routing packets (with some possible minor DHCP relay activities), let end system managers control end systems using business-appropriate tools, and generally get on with business using whatever tools are both useful and amenable to economical management. DHCP seems to be one of these tools. Deliberately blocking use of such tools seems foolhardy at best.

James R. Cutler
James.cutler at consultant.com
PGP keys at http://pgp.mit.edu