Slow WiFi with Android Marshmallow & IPv6?

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Mon Apr 25 10:02:22 CEST 2016

On 4/24/2016 2:14 PM, James R Cutler wrote:
> Ted,
>

>> Take Comcast for example. They rolled out IPv6 but the last mile
>> stinks. …
>
> Documentation, please.

Certainly,

http://forums.businesshelp.comcast.com/t5/IPV6/Dual-Stack-on-SMC-D3GCCR-and-Cisco-DPC3939B/m-p/20504#U20504

Or you can start at the top:

http://forums.businesshelp.comcast.com/t5/IPV6/bd-p/IPV6

There are many complaints there.

The problem has been going on since 2014 and documented by many many
people, there are even several internal Comcast tickets that have been
open over the years and then closed.

>> But if you are a business you are screwed - because you must use
>> their CPE if you want static IPv4 addresses …
>
> Interesting point, but not related to DHCP use. Also, many business
> users are in manufacturing and retail, where web sites and mail services
> are outsourced, thus mooting most requirements for fix IP addressing of
> any kind.

Unless your running VPNs which is also common in these sectors.

If you don't need a static IP you are fine - as long as you
put the CPE into bridged mode and use your own router.  I did already
say this.

You are also forgetting that most of these installs the ISP supplies
the CPE and the business just uses it out of the box then spends hours
or days of wasted time trying to figure out why things don't work.

Many of the posters to there are pretty pissed by the time they stumble
on to the forum because of this.

> Finally, as pointed out in many discussions over the last decade or more
> on mailing lists such as NANOG, the Android Open Source Project - Issue
> Tracker, and this list, how a network provider chooses to meet the
> business requirements for network operations is probably not within the
> purview of any particular device software developer.

Agreed - it shouldn't be - but the reality is that it is.  It would be
much, much better if the network providers got themselves the hell out
of the CPE supplying business.

However CPE rentals (at least for Comcast and undoubtedly other network
operators) are big, big bucks.

We live in an imperfect world.

Ted