Slow WiFi with Android Marshmallow & IPv6?

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Sun Apr 24 22:42:41 CEST 2016

Ted,
On 25/04/2016 07:55, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
> Why Android doesn't support DHCPv6 is detailed here:
>
> https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=32621#c53

Yes, we all know Lorenzo's opinion, and the follow-up comments there
give the opposing opinions.

> They say to use SLAAC and RFC6106.  I happen agree with their reasoning.  It is Microsoft who needs to change, not Google.  The
> IPv6 standard does not require DHCPv6

Neither does the IPv4 standard, if we're being pedantic.

> and it's a model that is an archaic carryover from IPv4.

It happens to be preferred by a lot of enterprise network operators, so
equipment vendors & o/s really need to support both.

(Also, looking at the history of DHCP and ND/RA, DHCP is not actually
archaic; it's only about 3 years older than IPv6, and was not generally
available until after ND/RA was designed. IPv4 was very annoying to deploy
and prone to fat-finger errors before DHCP was retro-fitted.)

> For those who must run DHCPv6 on Android:
>
> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.daduke.realmar.dhcpv6client
>
> Now I will also point out something else that affects ISPs - like
> Comcast (are you listening?) - and probably affected "this Belgian ISP"
> that Erik is reporting.
>
> The issue really isn't what protocol is supported.  The issue is
> PROPER support of what protocol is selected.

Absolutely correct, which is why I find the Android choice short-sighted.
Having to install this as an add-on seems very unlikely to produce "PROPER"
support. The first user comment for that add-on is "Doesn't work. There is not
enough space in /system...". Duh.

   Brian