Slow WiFi with Android Marshmallow & IPv6?

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Sun Apr 24 21:55:13 CEST 2016

Why Android doesn't support DHCPv6 is detailed here:

https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=32621#c53

They say to use SLAAC and RFC6106.  I happen agree with their reasoning.
  It is Microsoft who needs to change, not Google.  The IPv6 standard
does not require DHCPv6 and it's a model that is an archaic carryover
from IPv4.

For those who must run DHCPv6 on Android:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.daduke.realmar.dhcpv6client

Now I will also point out something else that affects ISPs - like
Comcast (are you listening?) - and probably affected "this Belgian ISP"
that Erik is reporting.

The issue really isn't what protocol is supported.  The issue is
PROPER support of what protocol is selected.

Take Comcast for example.  They rolled out IPv6 but the last mile
stinks.  If you are a regular Xfinity customer and you use your
own modem, you can put it in bridged mode and use a 3rd party router
behind it.  Then, IPv6 support is your problem and you can fight it
out with Dlink or Belkin or Linksys or whoever and if those companies
won't fix their trash you can select a different customer or use
a Linux box as a router or use a real router like a Cisco 2800 or
something.

But if you are a business you are screwed - because you must use
their CPE if you want static IPv4 addresses and they only have 3
CPEs that businesses can use - the Cisco BWG, the Netgear and the
SMC and ALL THREE are broken.  The SMC does not support DHCPv6-PD
nor static IPv6 subnetting and if you use it in SLAAC only then
after 6 hours of the IPv6 stack being turned on it reboots.   The
Cisco BWG does not support DHCP-PD, and while the Netgear does work
properly on DHCP-PD it has a bad bug with VoIP and it also cannot
support the 100+ speeds due to inadequate CPU.  Comcast has known
about these bugs and filed them with their CPE vendors SMC & Cisco who
have basically done nothing.  (Comcast DID file bugs with Netgear who
fixed the IPv6 ones and are ignoring the VoIP one go figure)

I am sure other ISPs like the Belgian ISP mentioned by the OP are in
the same boat - their IPv6 deployments are held hostage by firmware
bugs in routers they are deploying to customers.  THAT is probably why
the Belgian ISP is telling people to turn off IPv6 - not because
knowledgeable users cannot setup a decent IPv6 environment on their
networks that work with Android - but because that ISP is knowingly
supplying CPE devices with IPv6 bugs to their customers - much like
Comcast continues to do in the United States with the Cisco and SMC
devices.

Ted