Why do we still need IPv4 when we are migrating to IPv6...

Ignatios Souvatzis ignatios at cs.uni-bonn.de
Thu Feb 12 11:23:32 CET 2015

On Thu, Feb 12, 2015 at 10:41:05AM +0100, Ole Troan wrote:

> But that's "better value" by making IPv4 work less good. and I'll
> postulate that we can make A+P / shared IPv4 work good enough that
> end-users who are trained to live behind a NATs will not notice.

You mean, trained to see their downloads/web page updates break all
the time, like when they're in the mid of a tourist region during
vacation time? Hotel's WLAN's NAT tables clog, mobile phone provider's
NAT tables overflow. A lose-lose situation.

IPv4 will deteriorate more and more over the years. We have know this
for a quarter century now, and there is no way back.

	-is