Cost of IPv6 for IT operations team

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Sun Apr 5 00:02:00 CEST 2015

The industrial machine was only used as an example to keep the
fools from replying "why would anyone want to run Windows XP anymore"

There are
still a lot of orgs that run it and run Chrome on it.  And a simple
registry tweak gets you all of the patches that MS released for
Windows Embedded for POS systems and all of those apply to XP.

Mikael was right in that it is a good idea to select for IPv6 for
new purchases.

But you are both ignoring the point that many if not the majority
of smaller ogs do not replace working gear just because it's old.

The usual replacement drivers are the desire for new must-have features.

A secondary replacement driver is simple hardware failure.  But hardware
failure on the PC market takes a lot longer than most PC manufacturers
would like, despite the electrolytic capacitor issues of the last decade.

I would guess XP is going to truly be a niche OS in another 5 years.
But until then a lot of people are still using it.

Ted