Cost of IPv6 for IT operations team

Jussi Peltola pelzi at pelzi.net
Sat Apr 4 21:50:01 CEST 2015

I know plenty of industrial machines that speak the pre-IP Microsoft
protocols to get G code files into them. Some also depend on the clock
rate of their 486 CPU for timing. Some have a C compiler on disk that
was used to develop the control software they run.

IPv6-enabling these devices is rather irrelevant, as they never speak to
the outside world, only to some other almost-as-outdated hosts. Either you
keep rfc1918 v4 (or NetBIOS over IPX) enabled on the desktops speaking
to the machine control PC, or you make some kind of bastion host which
can have IPv6. Either way the protocol spoken among these hosts
(which are hopefully controlled by common administration) is quite
irrelevant for the big picture. Expecting to have 20 or 30 year old
software successfully sending and receiving packets on the wild wild
internet is not a good idea and IPv6 is not in the top 10 reasons for
this.

	Jussi