Microsoft: Give Xbox One users IPv6 connectivity

Marco Sommani marcosommani at gmail.com
Fri Mar 14 00:21:58 CET 2014

On 13/mar/2014, at 20:12, Eric Vyncke (evyncke) <evyncke at cisco.com> wrote:

> Jakob
>
> What annoys me more if the fact that AVM (and they are not the only one --
> see Technicolor & others) naively believes that NAT44 offered some
> security by preventing inbound connections... This means that there is NO
> open connectivity between two X/Box behind a closed AVM CPE... Hence X/Box
> has no choice and is smart enough to fall back in the legacy NAT44 mode
> with a TURN (or in this case Teredo) to bypass NAT. A very nice
> opportunity to run man-in-the-middle attack on a foreign ground.

AVM is not alone in its choices: they just do what is suggested in RFC 6092 - "Recommended Simple Security Capabilities in Customer Premises Equipment (CPE) for Providing Residential IPv6 Internet Service". I don't like what they do, but maybe we should blame IETF.

Marco

--
Marco Sommani
Via Contessa Matilde 64C