Microsoft: Give Xbox One users IPv6 connectivity

Cb B cb.list6 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 14 00:27:11 CET 2014

On Mar 13, 2014 4:22 PM, "Marco Sommani" <marcosommani at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 13/mar/2014, at 20:12, Eric Vyncke (evyncke) <evyncke at cisco.com> wrote:
>
> > Jakob
> >
> > What annoys me more if the fact that AVM (and they are not the only one
--
> > see Technicolor & others) naively believes that NAT44 offered some
> > security by preventing inbound connections... This means that there is
NO
> > open connectivity between two X/Box behind a closed AVM CPE... Hence
X/Box
> > has no choice and is smart enough to fall back in the legacy NAT44 mode
> > with a TURN (or in this case Teredo) to bypass NAT. A very nice
> > opportunity to run man-in-the-middle attack on a foreign ground.
>
> AVM is not alone in its choices: they just do what is suggested in RFC
6092 - "Recommended Simple Security Capabilities in Customer Premises
Equipment (CPE) for Providing Residential IPv6 Internet Service". I don't
like what they do, but maybe we should blame IETF.

> Marco

I believe there is an exception for allowing inbound ipsec in the rfc ...
but this really goes to show how stateful firewalls are more harm than good
in the general case.

AVM may as well stay on ipv4 nat444 since they gave up on e2e with the
stateful inspection.

CB

http://download.microsoft.com/download/A/C/4/AC4484B8-AA16-446F-86F8-BDFC

http://service.avm.de/support/en/skb/FRITZ-Box-7390-int/1439:Cannot-play-o