Microsoft: Give Xbox One users IPv6 connectivity

Gert Doering gert at space.net
Fri Mar 14 09:15:00 CET 2014

Hi,

On Thu, Mar 13, 2014 at 07:17:16PM -0500, David Farmer wrote:
> They prefer native IPv6, but only if all the peer-to-peer participants
> also have native IPv6.  So, if all your gamer buddies have native IPv6,
> then native IPv6 is preferred.  They do not want to use Teredo Gateways.
>   So, they do not allow Native IPv6 to Teredo communications, and prefer
> Teredo if any of the participants needs Teredo to do IPv6.

OK, thanks.  I was not fully aware of these details, but it does explain
what happens - since native IPv6 is still not ubiquitous, at least one
of the players will be on Teredo, and *that* will not work through a
(default-config) AVM box if the AVM has native IPv6 ("do not tunnel if
you can do native, it's better for your packets"), so all fall back to
IPv4...

Yeah, hard to see how to fix that, without resorting to Teredo relays
(which are not a good approach to latency-sensitive gaming traffic
either).

Gert Doering
        -- NetMaster

Tel: +49 (0)89/32356-444           USt-IdNr.: DE813185279