Question on DHCPv6 address assignment

Henri Wahl h.wahl at ifw-dresden.de
Sun Feb 2 10:36:19 CET 2014

Hi,

> It's also worth noting that the old presumption that MAC-based
> interface identifiers are normal and anything else is strange is
> obsolete. See http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-6man-ug-06
> which is approved in the RFC queue already and
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-6man-default-iids-00
> for a possible future recommendation.

For environments where the IPv4 address management is based on MACs the
transistion to IPv6 might be done easier if MACs still can be used.

> These documents are mainly written with SLAAC in mind rather
> than DHCPv6, but I don't think that changes the principles.
> Personally I would avoid "sequential range like fd00::1, fd00::2"
> because it exposes you to easy scanning attacks. Random seems
> best except for servers.

For internal addresses I would prefer anything not-random. If there is a
situation when one has to debug through larger amounts of IPv6 addresses
a bunch of random addresses will likely cause more confusion.
External client addresses should be random.

Regards
Henri

--
Henri Wahl

IT Department
Leibniz-Institut für Festkörper- u.
Werkstoffforschung Dresden

tel. (03 51) 46 59 - 797
email: h.wahl at ifw-dresden.de
http://www.ifw-dresden.de

IFW Dresden e.V., Helmholtzstraße 20, D-01069 Dresden
VR Dresden Nr. 1369
Vorstand: Prof. Dr. Ludwig Schultz, Dr. h.c. Dipl.-Finw. Rolf Pfrengle