Question on DHCPv6 address assignment

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Sat Feb 1 23:44:30 CET 2014

It's also worth noting that the old presumption that MAC-based
interface identifiers are normal and anything else is strange is
obsolete. See http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-6man-ug-06
which is approved in the RFC queue already and
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-6man-default-iids-00
for a possible future recommendation.

These documents are mainly written with SLAAC in mind rather
than DHCPv6, but I don't think that changes the principles.
Personally I would avoid "sequential range like fd00::1, fd00::2"
because it exposes you to easy scanning attacks. Random seems
best except for servers.

Regards
   Brian Carpenter