multiple prefixes

Tim Chown tjc at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Mon Feb 11 23:13:12 CET 2013

On 11 Feb 2013, at 20:31, Tore Anderson <tore at fud.no> wrote:

> * Doug Barton
>
>> PI is not a universal solution. There are myriad enterprises that
>> cannot, and/or do not want to deal with BGP.
>
> Running BGP isn't a requirement for using PI prefixes. There's no reason
> why your provider(s) can't originate your PI prefixes into the DFZ on
> your behalf. We do this for a couple of our customers without any issues.

Indeed. I would still maintain that a medium size enterprise/organisation should be able to acquire and use IPv6 PI.  But it's perhaps easier to apply the "IPv4 way of thinking" to the problem, which may lead them into NPTv6. Personally, I would rather take the (relatively small) financial cost of PI than the architectural cost of NPTv6. But each to their own, I guess.

Tim