multiple prefixes

Doug Barton dougb at dougbarton.us
Mon Feb 11 23:26:51 CET 2013

On 02/11/2013 02:13 PM, Tim Chown wrote:

> Indeed. I would still maintain that a medium size
> enterprise/organisation should be able to acquire and use IPv6 PI.

I haven't kept up with this as much as I should, but are the RIRs
handing out PI space to orgs that don't have ASNs nowadays?

> But it's perhaps easier to apply the "IPv4 way of thinking" to the
> problem, which may lead them into NPTv6. Personally, I would rather
> take the (relatively small) financial cost of PI than the
> architectural cost of NPTv6. But each to their own, I guess.

NPTv6 for free, or hassle + $cost for IPv6 PI (if it's even available)
... to enterprises for whom OpEx is an infinitely more important factor
than mythical devotion to an architecture that disappeared 15 years ago
(namely, 99.9% of them) this is not even a decision.

If I went into the room and told my clients to do this I'd be laughed
out of the room. It's way past time that people in the IPv6 ivory towers
started paying attention to the real world.

Doug