OT: cheap colo space in Southern Germany/Munich

Noel Butler noel.butler at ausics.net
Sun Nov 25 12:47:14 CET 2012

On Sun, 2012-11-25 at 09:24 +0100, Eugen Leitl wrote:

> Local, as in how the car drives. Not as the packets fly.

same diff, if its in DE then it would be local, I mean FFS, I have a box
in London and it has 6ms pings to Frankfurt, I cant even equal that from
my city, Brisbane, to say Sydney, the best there is 9-11ms, that's 995
km's away.

> We've had a conference in OpenQwaq (server in the US)
> recently with users in Europe, US, New Zealand, and despite
> realtime requirements (audio and video) it worked
> surprisingly well.

I also have a box in L.A.  it purports to be a national U.S. host
service, however we do not have access to IPv6.

> > now destroys the only reachable by 1% argument...
>
> There might be cases, where you only serve local
> users, but that's quite pathological.
>
> But even assuming if:
>
> http://www.google.com/ipv6/statistics.html
>
> http://www.google.com/ipv6/statistics.html#tab=per-country-ipv6-adoption
>
> Germany: IPv6 adoption 0.51%
>
> In anotyher 10 years you might have a case.

bullshit, I'd say before two years, if they are out of IPv4's

> None of my own data points confirm it. People will only react when
> there's a reachability problem.

That we do agree on.

> > But I think Australia is similar to, but still well behind Germany -
> > small players offering it, large players have tested, but as yet, failed
> > to roll out, so the 1% is fact over here :)
>
> http://www.google.com/ipv6/statistics.html#tab=per-country-ipv6-adoption

I certainly hope you dont take googles word as gospel, it might be a
"very rough" guide though.

> says 0.27% for Australia.

I'd say that's an over estimation, but yeah, in AU, a service provider
can get no more than a /22 for past year, and that's it, not
multiple /22's, so basically for hosting services, if they didn't get in
early and stockpile, you're fine for shared hosting, you can stuff
thousands of hosts on one IP, but pretty much forget SSL customers, and
as for end user SP's, well, yeah, forget it, only the big players have
stockpiles of IPv4 for DSL/Cable/3G users, if someone wanted to start up
a new ISP here, it is hopeless now, unless you want to NAT all your
customers :) which might be acceptable for 3G, but not for "always on"
DSL etc...

Cheers