OT: cheap colo space in Southern Germany/Munich

Garry Glendown garry at nethinks.com
Sun Nov 25 09:52:23 CET 2012

On 25.11.2012 02:28, Noel Butler wrote:
> Yes, I too am one of the people who ignored IPv6 for so long because
> mainly of the "boy who cried wolf" IPv6 exhaustion syndrome  that
> we've been hearing from back in the mid, then late 90's and early
> naughties (all claiming exhaustion within 2 years) .... here we are,
> only running out in 2012, had all those kiddies not cried wolf for
> nearly 2 decades, and only started to yell out a few years back (when
> factual real evidence started to be seen), maybe, just maybe, the IPv6
> ignorance would not be so prevalent.
If nobody had "cried wolf" when they did, the net would have probably
ran out v4 addresses by 2000. Address usage increase slowed because
mitigation techniques were implemented; problem is they worked too well,
lulling everybody back to sleep ... that's why we're still stuck with
all the NAT crap, and have now even gotten worse with Carrier-grade NAT
to further mitigate the growing scarcity ... imagine the stupidity -
carriers and providers spending money for temporary solutions in order
to avoid spending money on the actual solution of the problem. And of
course the usual finger pointing ... it's always the others' fault ...
I'd say: Everybody that doesn't have basic v6 in 2012 is to blame. At
least for not kicking their service provider/hoster/hardware
supplier/etc. for not delivering v6.

Oh well... time to just sit back and watch for the panic to get a hold
of customers and come to their rescue. For a premium. ;)