Yesterday's Windows update causes IPv4 to be default

Dan Wing dwing at cisco.com
Thu Nov 15 18:04:40 CET 2012

At minimum, Apple's existing algorithm needs to see a SYNACK (to determine
round trip time over that address family).  That doesn't cost much on
most servers or load balancers, which take pains to avoid creating TCP
state that early (to combat SYN flood attacks), or have good algorithms
to discard SYN floods and create as little state as possible.

The traces I remember taking had a full TCP 3-way handshake, though,
which was then reset.

-d