6to4 relay best practices

Mohacsi Janos mohacsi at niif.hu
Mon May 21 01:47:29 CEST 2012

On Sun, 20 May 2012, Seth Mos wrote:

> Hi,
> I've been building some 6to4 support in pfSense and noticed something odd about the 6to4 relays that I hope someone might shed some light on.
>
> Some 6to4 relays are pingable, some are not. Some respond on 2002:c058:6301:: others on 2002:c058:6301::1 but never both.

I think it is coming from different 6to4 implmentation.

> And the anycasted nature makes it harder to see where I'm ending up today.
>
> I thought that ICMP should be allowed in general by the 6to4 relays in general. But this doesn't seem to be the case.
>
> It does not appear to hamper getting to the internet in general, leading me to believe that I should somehow contact the 6to4 operators.

I recommend to study RFC 6343
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6343

especially the section 4. I think is not very wise to advocate to use
6to4 - proper implementation is very dificult - most of the time outside
of control of 6to4 user.

Best Regards,

Janos Mohacsi
Head of HBONE+ project
Network Engineer, Director Network and Multimedia
NIIF/HUNGARNET, HUNGARY
Co-chair of Hungarian IPv6 Forum
Key 70EF9882: DEC2 C685 1ED4 C95A 145F  4300 6F64 7B00 70EF 9882