6to4 relay best practices

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Mon May 21 08:42:20 CEST 2012

On 2012-05-21 00:47, Mohacsi Janos wrote:

> On Sun, 20 May 2012, Seth Mos wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> I've been building some 6to4 support in pfSense and noticed something
>> odd about the 6to4 relays that I hope someone might shed some light on.
>>
>> Some 6to4 relays are pingable, some are not. Some respond
>> on 2002:c058:6301:: others on 2002:c058:6301::1 but never both.
>
> I think it is coming from different 6to4 implmentation.
>

>> And the anycasted nature makes it harder to see where I'm ending up
>> today.
>>
>> I thought that ICMP should be allowed in general by the 6to4 relays in
>> general. But this doesn't seem to be the case.
>>
>> It does not appear to hamper getting to the internet in general,
>> leading me to believe that I should somehow contact the 6to4 operators.
>

> I recommend to study RFC 6343
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6343
>
> especially the section 4. I think is not very wise to advocate to use
> 6to4 - proper implementation is very dificult - most of the time outside
> of control of 6to4 user.

I agree. Hopefully we will see fewer and fewer clients and CPEs attempting
to use 6to4. I am *not* sure it's a good idea to add this to pf.

Meanwhile any relays that are out there need to follow the guidelines
in RFC 6343, but if they don't, it's extremely hard for a third party
to diagnose or fix the resulting problems.

   Brian (author of RFC 6343)