IPv6 BGP TE (was Couldflare routing problems)

Mick O'Rourke mkorourke at gmail.com
Sat Jun 23 05:56:06 CEST 2012

Hi Sasha,

Sure, if you apply that definition that's another way to skin the cat; Cost
as a factor comes to mind on the below - obviously much cheaper to have a
single /32, yet being where we are and the lowest common denominator
tending to rule, obviously that just needs to be understood as a cost on
doing business, and as an architectural consideration for enterprises,
content providers or other.

One use-case that is valid globally for v6 TE and one I'm sure we're all or
will be impacted by - DDoS.
- Using TE to pull an impacted /48 or other /36 or /xy whatever is very
valid
- Getting that Chinese, Russian, USA or international traffic away from
your other customers to be cleaned
- It's a use-case commonly used globally for v4 DDoS TE ie. advert of a /24
or multiples of to pull impacted traffic into a cleaning centre
- Yes off-ramping and advert of a /32 and de-avert in other places will
work - assuming you have the capacity, it's just not a desirable scenario.
- Perhaps it's a moot issue and the TE use-case will simply work we'll
enough with the majority of the v6 world accepting /48's;

Thoughts?

Cheers

Mick