IPv6 BGP TE (was Couldflare routing problems)

Sascha Lenz slz at baycix.de
Fri Jun 22 08:15:24 CEST 2012

Hi,

> >> I specifically said I don't see a valid use case for *globally*
> > advertising
> >> more specifics.
> 	• Single provider or enterprise allocated a /32
> 	• Multiple independent global locations eg. PNG, India, New Zealand, US
> 	• Each site advertising out a /36
> 	• Requirement for each site is too large for a /48 allocation.
> 	• Advert of a covering may have some very undesirable results
> 	• Most networks it will work today will they'll accept the routes in the above approach.
> 	• The approach has some parallels IPv4. People are going to do this and take v4 practice and apply to v6 if within general community guidelines - and why not, why re-invent the wheel?
> 	• Networks likes yours be they teir2/3/4 that don't accept a full table in the v4 world would have a covering route with ACLs potentially used for bogons. Why not for v6?
> 	• What's your suggestion as to BCP for the scenario?

i'm not sure if i understand your points in the first place, but why would an
ISP have three separate networks but only use one allocation, and why would and enterprise work with a PA allocation instead of PI assignments?

A single provider, if you mean an ISP has a single network, otherwise it's multiple ISPs by (my) definition, perhaps multiple local ISPs
sharing the same name but not being the same legal entity or AS number.
Each separate local/regional entity then would become member of the appropriate RIR and receive their own /32 or bigger allocation to
aggregate the local traffic.

A single enterprise is an end-user and doesn't aggregate assignments, so they can always apply for a separate PI assignment of the appropriate size from each responsible RIR, /48 or shorter.

One of the differences between IPv4 is that de-aggregating an IPv6 /32 or shorter into /48 is much worse than even de-aggregating even an IPv4 /16 into /24s - be it fat fingers or intentional Traffic Engineering shit.

But perhaps you can enlighten me where i misunderstood your scenario.

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Kind Regards

Sascha Lenz [SLZ-RIPE]
Senior System- & Network Architect