happy CGN -- beating happy eyeballs and trending toward E2E success

Erik Nygren erik at nygren.org
Tue Jun 12 23:21:05 CEST 2012

I'd strongly discourage the use of DNS hackery like this.
It could have bad side-effects for sites using short DNS TTLs
for load balancing and fault response (and having a much longer AAAA
TTL could result in much worse performance/behavior and thus possible
blacklisting of AAAA responses).

It would seem like getting improved Happy Eyeballs implementations
would be the best approach forwards.  A "good" Happy Eyeballs implementation
should compare IPv4 vs IPv6 TCP (HTTP) performance and availability
with some preference towards IPv6 (whether it is 30ms or 300ms).
This should do the right thing for CGN since a direct path over IPv6
should generally be faster than an indirect IPv4 path through the CGN,
especially when a bias for IPv6 is added in.

Anything using A vs AAAA DNS response times here seems like a bug
(unless the AAAA response is *much* slower to come back) as that bears
no correlation to what the actual TCP/HTTP availability and performance
will be like for IPv4 vs IPv6.

       Erik