Have we been opted out of IPv6 AAAA resolution?

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Wed Jun 6 18:50:08 CEST 2012

On 06/06/12 17:39, Shumon Huque wrote:

> Thanks! I'm glad Google is being transparent about the contents
> of the blacklist. It would be even more helpful to proactively
> provide diagnostic details of the "brokenness" they are measuring
> to those that are blacklisted, instead of waiting for folks to
> contact them. Silently blacklisting resolvers isn't helping the
> cause of IPv6 adoption very well.

True, although in fairness to Google, the data protection implications
of passing useful data (source IP, port, timestamp) back to owner sites
are non-trivial.

> Thanks. Please share what you find out! I'm sure many others are
> interested.
>
> I'd be interested in knowing who besides Google is performing selective
> delivery of AAAA records. And if specific details are published
> anywhere.

I've had confirmation from other sites that a) they have nameservers in
that list, and b) those nameservers also can't see AAAA records for
www.facebook.com. Whether Google/Facebook are sharing the list or using
similar "broken detection" metrics I don't know.

I'm also pretty sure that Yahoo are performing AAAA filtering:

[root at rdns1 ~]# dig -b 155.198.62.11 +short @yf1.yahoo.com.
ds-eu-fp3.wa1.b.yahoo.com. aaaa
[root at rdns1 ~]# dig -b 155.198.62.111 +short @yf1.yahoo.com.
ds-eu-fp3.wa1.b.yahoo.com. aaaa
2a00:1288:f006:1fe::3000
2a00:1288:f006:1fe::3001
2a00:1288:f00e:1fe::3001
2a00:1288:f00e:1fe::3000
[root at rdns1 ~]#

...and a colleague points out that Bing (via Akamai) are also filtering.