Have we been opted out of IPv6 AAAA resolution?

Bill Owens owens at nysernet.org
Wed Jun 6 19:24:13 CEST 2012

On Wed, Jun 06, 2012 at 03:47:43PM +0100, Phil Mayers wrote:
> We have been pointed at this:
>
> http://www.google.com/intl/en_ALL/ipv6/statistics/data/no_aaaa.txt

I just ground through that list and found one NYSERNet member campus on it; for reasons that will momentarily become obvious I'm not going to call them out by name. . .

Their listing is a single IP that happens to be their authoritative server as well as a recursor, and it is definitely blocked for Google. How do I know? It's an open recursive server. And because of that I also know that it's blocked for Facebook, Yahoo and Bing. I checked a few other sites at the top of the participants list and it isn't blocked for any of them.

Obviously I've alerted the site, and in particular asked whether they knew of any outages or problems. I believe they get their path to Google through our network, and as far as I know we've had no issues; none of the rest of our sites are blocked. But we'll have to see what they say, and what Google tells them.

Bill.