Anarchy in the UK?

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Thu Dec 13 09:05:12 CET 2012

On 12/12/2012 16:52, Marco Sommani wrote:
> On 12/dic/2012, at 17:47, Sam Wilson wrote:
>
>> On 12 Dec 2012, at 11:46, Nick Hilliard wrote:
>>
>>> I don't think it's a disaster.  People didn't choose IP over the OSI stack
>>> because their government hopped on the IP bandwagon.
>> They chose IP because the US government gave it away for free, often bundled with the OS of your choice.  The same was definitely not true for the OSI stack.
>
> US government??? Wasn't it Berkley's Unix?

It was several things around 1983:

   TCP/IP switchover on ARPANET
   TCP/IP in 4.2BSD Unix
   Proteon multiprotocol routers on the market (before Cisco)
   Sun workstations on the market with TCP/IP
   Ethernet growing quickly
   First international networkshop (organised by Larry Landweber)

The bottom line was that TCP/IP worked in real life and OSI was still
mainly theory.

The message is an old one: running code and grass-roots collaboration
work, government mandates don't. That is how IPv6 will succeed.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programme?

   Brian