Anarchy in the UK?

Sam Wilson Sam.Wilson at ed.ac.uk
Thu Dec 13 11:32:09 CET 2012

On 13 Dec 2012, at 08:05, Brian E Carpenter wrote:

> The message is an old one: running code and grass-roots collaboration
> work, government mandates don't. That is how IPv6 will succeed.
>
> Now back to our regularly scheduled programme?

With respect I don't think that's the story here.  OSI was not
something that the techies were really enthusiastic for, and there
was an obvious working, cheap-to-free alternative (government support
of development notwithstanding).  Government OSI initiatives were
going against the flow.

In the case of IPv6 most of us are agreed that it's the only game in
town for the future (cjdns, rfc6115 etc notwithstanding).  This is a
case of a government, in a country which is already lagging in grass-
roots IPv6 adoption, failing to support its own initiative.

Whether that's some kind of double whammy I'm not sure.

Sam

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.