Anarchy in the UK?

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Thu Dec 13 08:37:19 CET 2012

On Dec 12, 2012, at 6:52 AM, Marco Sommani <marcosommani at gmail.com> wrote:
>> They chose IP because the US government gave it away for free, often bundled with the OS of your choice. The same was definitely not true for the OSI stack.

Wasn't ISODE free?

I believe OSI failed for a number or reasons, from difficulty in getting standards (at least compared to the availability of TCP/IP standards) to politics relating to the deregulation of the international telecoms world.  Blaming the price some vendors set for their OSI suite is probably too simplistic.

> US government??? Wasn't it Berkley's Unix?

The development of the TCP/IP stack in Berkeley Software Distribution Unix was funded (in part) via a US DoD DARPA (or was it ARPA then?) grant.

Regards,
-drc