mobile devices (umts/LTE) and IPv6

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Tue Sep 6 15:05:53 CEST 2011

On Tue, 6 Sep 2011, Thomas Schäfer wrote:

> is anywhere a overview of mobile-devices, like umts/lte-sticks and
> mobile-phones, supporting IPv6? (not WLAN/Wi-Fi)

The short answer is: A lot of Nokia devices, mainly Symbian and Maemo.
Nothing else.

There are beta software+firmware for some phones and LTE sticks, but
they're not publically available.

> Which protocols are used for "dial in", assigning IP-adresses and so on?

4G has both radio settings and RA+DHCP at the same time, so it's up to the
dongle to support what's needed.

> What is "common" at huawei, zte, samsung and ericsson?

Some ST-Ericsson built in 3G modems have support for this as well, but as
far as I know there aren't many connection managers that work.

I had high hopes the situation would look a lot better now in Q3, but it's
still bleak. Things seem to be moving in the right direction, and I have
successfully working two bearer (IPv4 in one bearer and IPv6 in another
bearer) working over 2G and 3G. This has been working quite a while
though, works with for instance Nokia N900 and a LTE dongle we have with
beta firmware + beta connection manager.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se