Transferring /8 networks between the RIRs

Seth Mos seth.mos at dds.nl
Thu Nov 24 08:50:27 CET 2011

On 23-11-2011 13:48, Gert Doering wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 01:14:07PM +0100, Seth Mos wrote:
>> I was wondering if there has been any thoughts or consideration to
>> transfer unassigned /8 networks between the Regional registries to
>> mitigate registries (like APNIC) that have already exhausted their pool.
>
> Well.  This is not exactly on-topic on an *IPv6*-ops mailing list.

My apologies to all if I mis-interpreted the purpose of this list.

Regardless, the responses clarify a number of things I had not
considered before. That helps.

> What sort of deployment are you thinking about?  The interesting thing
> today should be *IPv6* deployment, and you don't need IPv4 for that...

More or less the dual stack argument. But more thinking later, yeah, you
are right. It wouldn't help.

The point Cameron/SM make is very true too. There is no fair. All
parties have their own interest which skews everything.

Regards,

Seth