Transferring /8 networks between the RIRs

Gert Doering gert at space.net
Wed Nov 23 13:48:30 CET 2011

Hi,

On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 01:14:07PM +0100, Seth Mos wrote:
> I was wondering if there has been any thoughts or consideration to
> transfer unassigned /8 networks between the Regional registries to
> mitigate registries (like APNIC) that have already exhausted their pool.

Well.  This is not exactly on-topic on an *IPv6*-ops mailing list.

But to answer your thoughts: I don't think this is ever going to happen.
The registries (especially Lacnic) fought quite hard to get "their share"
from the remaining IPv4 pool, and they will not give up a whole /8 just
because ISPs in another region panicked and grabbed all there was left.

Technically, to achieve this, you would need to get consensus among the
constituency *in a given region* to give away a /8 to (like) APNIC.

[..]
> Getting the whole globe acting in the same fashion at once might do more
> to get the deployment forward, maybe. Not so sure the world agrees with us.

What sort of deployment are you thinking about?  The interesting thing
today should be *IPv6* deployment, and you don't need IPv4 for that...

Gert Doering
        -- wearer of many hats

Tel: +49 (89) 32356-444            USt-IdNr.: DE813185279