An RFC is an RFC when it is an RFC (Was: Question Re: best practices)

marcelo bagnulo braun marcelo at it.uc3m.es
Mon May 9 21:08:10 CEST 2011

A brief overview of the IETF RFCs document suite.

The first step for a document in the IETF is an individual Internet Draft.
These documents can be recognized because their name is
draft-last_name_-wg_name-...
These document are the product of one or more individual and they only
represent the consensus among the authors of the document. There is no
review of any kind. We usually call these drafts. These drafts expire
every 6 months and in order to be "alive" they need to be reposted
before that.

The second step is usually a working group internet draft. These are
recongized because their name is draft-ietf-wg_name-...
These documents reflect to some degree the WG opinion, but they are work
in progress and can be significantly changed.

Once the WG agrees that a document is ready to move forward, and the
document is reviewed by the IESG and it is open for IETF wide last call
for comments, the document is progressed to RFC.

There are several types of RFCs.

There are some RFCs that are informational, which provide information
for the community.
Other RFCs are Best Current Practices, which document operational best
practices.
Other RFCs are Experimental, which document technologies that are still
not mature enough for their deployment in the internet and more
experiment is needed to understnad their impact.

And then there are the Standard Track RFCs. The key word here is Track.
Becoming an Internet standard is a path. The first step is a Proposed
Standard RFC. The second step is a Draft Standard and the third step is
a Full Internet Standard.

Now, RFCs are immutable, so in order for a document to move from
Proposed Standard to Draft standard, a new RFC must be published, with a
new number.

So, about the comments received in the ml so far:
- RFC6146 is a Standard Track RFC which status is Proposed Standard.
- RFC2460 is a Standard Track RFC which status is Draft Standard

Other examples of Proposed Standards RFC 3261 (the SIP protocol) RFC
3315 (DHCPv6)...
I hope this clarifies a bit the situation.

Regards, marcelo