An RFC is an RFC when it is an RFC (Was: Question Re: best practices)

Cameron Byrne cb.list6 at gmail.com
Mon May 9 20:15:35 CEST 2011

On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 11:05 AM, Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm at ipinc.net> wrote:
> On 5/9/2011 10:56 AM, Martin Millnert wrote:

>> Ted,  you seem to be educating us on three issues:
>>  1) NAT is bad,
>>  2) that 6146 is not a standard,
>>  3) that 6146 is a draft document
>>
>> re 3: I'm thoroughly confused.  To us not involved in BEHAVE or experts
>> on IETF process, what makes 6146 not be a proposed standard in the
>> standards track (it does claim so)?
>
> Being a draft does not automatically guarentee it will become a standard.
>  Use it at your own risk.
>
> As for is NAT bad, well I think so - but I would say the same
> for any other proposed standard passed off as a real standard
> regardless if it had to do with NAT or not.
>
> Ted

Soo..... These 2 drafts have the same headers, both are proposed
standards, there is no difference in their standings from an IETF
perspective, as far as i know.  I am interested in hearing fact based
pointers on how i should view one as more of a standard than the
other.

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc6146.txt
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2460.txt

Cameron