Question Re: best practices

Gert Doering gert at space.net
Mon May 9 20:35:07 CEST 2011

Hi,

On Mon, May 09, 2011 at 10:00:46AM -0700, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
> That is a draft, not a real RFC.  The only reason it exists is that
> the vendors who are pushing this continually re-file it every 6 months
> when the draft expires.

RFCs do not expire.  ietf-drafts do.

(Even "experimental" RFCs do not expire).

The reason why NAT64 exists is because it solves a real problem: eyeball
networks that *just do not have* IPv4 addresses connecting to servers
that have no v6 (yet).  And I'm quite happy that people actually went
through the pains of writing down how to do this, so that other people
then can use the RFC as reference when evaluating "black boxes".

Gert Doering
        -- NetMaster
--
did you enable IPv6 on something today...?

Tel: +49 (89) 32356-444            USt-IdNr.: DE813185279