Cogent and Google no longer peered via IPv6

Brandon Butterworth brandon at bogons.net
Wed May 4 23:12:01 CEST 2011

> The problem with Cogent is that they think they are a Tier 1 transit
> provider and in their opinion they only want to peer with other Tier 1
> transit providers. For the same reason they don't peer with HE, which
> results in the low number of IPv6 routes in their routing table.

That's OK, Cogent like to play tier 1

They depeered us too which is fine but I wish they'd stop bugging us to
now buy their transit (if you want to sell people stuff it's best
not to alienate them).

> They also think that they can strong-arm themselves into a position
> where everyone accepts them to be Tier 1.

HE are doing that for v6 hoping being there early makes them tier 1 by
default, a nice try but really can't complain if some disagree.

Ordinarily I'd wish them both a happy tier 0.5 ness but v6 day isn't
the time to be breaking users

brandon