Cogent and Google no longer peered via IPv6

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Wed May 4 22:44:37 CEST 2011

On May 4, 2011, at 4:39 PM, Jan Hugo Prins wrote:

> Hi,
>
>> If somebody could work up an accurate list of these customers, we'd be
>> happy to raise issue from a commercial prospective.  I don't think
>> Cogent's management fully understands the absurdity of the
>> situation...
> The problem with Cogent is that they think they are a Tier 1 transit
> provider and in their opinion they only want to peer with other Tier 1
> transit providers. For the same reason they don't peer with HE, which
> results in the low number of IPv6 routes in their routing table.
>
> They also think that they can strong-arm themselves into a position
> where everyone accepts them to be Tier 1. I'm wandering when everyone
> drops Cogent transit in favour of more decent transit providers. In
> every big peering dispute in the last couple of years Cogent was one of
> the parties involved as far as I know.

I don't think anything along these lines is going to go away.

It does seem that a number of providers are treating IPv6 interconnection differently than IPv4 and I think this will only serve to cripple growth of IPv6 in the short term.

I do hope that each content provider/carrier/network goes ahead and enables IPv6 on the same links as "ip classic", er IPv4 with the same peering policy in the short term.  Or at least for the week before and week after come June.

I'm looking forward to an increased amount of traffic on networks for that day.

- Jared