Handing out DNS server from Cisco local pool

Mark Smith nanog at 85d5b20a518b8f6864949bd940457dc124746ddc.nosense.org
Mon Mar 21 22:53:55 CET 2011

On Mon, 21 Mar 2011 22:09:27 +0100
Ole Troan <otroan at employees.org> wrote:

> Frank,
>
> > If I want to hand out an IPv6 DNS server via Cisco's local pool for the WAN
> > interface, how is that done?
> >
> > With IPv4 it's just a:
> > interface Virtual-Template1
> > ppp ipcp dns <IP 1> <IP 2>
> >
> > With IPv6 it's supposed to run DHCPv6 over the WAN link, and Cisco's "local
> > pool" command hands out IPv6 addresses very nicely:
> > ipv6 local pool ipv6pool-lns <IPv6>::/56 65
>
> s/65/64?
> btw: I'm not that keen on the local pools. if you can use RADIUS and give out a static prefix on each PPP link instead.
>
> > but there appears to be no way to specify the DNSv6 address(es).
>
> define an ipv6 dhcp pool, e.g.
> ipv6 dhcp pool <foo>
>  dns-server <bar>
>
> and add "ipv6 dhcp server <foo>" under the virtual-template interface.

There are also a number of other options you can supply to end-nodes
using a local BRAS DHCPv6 server if they're useful, such as domain
name, sip server, sntp server address and information refresh interval.
I think it is in a service provider's interests to supply as many
service parameters as possible to customers via automated mechanisms,
rather than asking customers to enter those parameters them
selves.

Regards,
Mark.