Handing out DNS server from Cisco local pool

Chad Kissinger chad at onr.com
Mon Mar 21 22:13:25 CET 2011

This leads to a question that I still have about choosing appropriate Interface IDs... how do you choose a range of Interface IDs that haven't been reserved already (for Stateless Autoconfig, etc.)?

As far as I can tell, you only need to unset the 71st and 72nd bits and not use all 0s for the Interface ID.. this would translate into choosing an Interface ID that met the following conditions:

1.  The second hexadecimal character in the Interface ID should be 0, 4, 8 or c
2.  The entire Interface ID shouldn't be all 0s.

Is this accurate, or am I missing something.  The issue of how to choose an appropriate Interface ID for manual configuration or for a DHCP pool seems to be completely unaddressed in everything I read about IPv6.

chad kissinger  |  founder-vp  |  onramp access, llc
p: 512.322.9200  |  f: 512.476.2878  |  www.onr.com
your internet operations  |  built  |  deployed  |  managed