Youtube over IPv6 for non-whitelist users?

Gert Doering gert at space.net
Mon Jun 20 12:11:21 CEST 2011

Hi,

On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 12:08:56PM +0200, Harald Firing Karlsen wrote:
> On 20.06.2011 09:25, Erik Kline wrote:
> > Youtube is trialing the use of blacklist mode (AAAAs are served unless
> > the network is measured as having a high degree of brokenness) for
> > most of the video hostnames, rather than whitelist mode.
> I have noticed one issue with this; we have a GGC node in our network
> and (according to the GGC Team) IPv6 is not yet available for our node.
> This means our IPv4 customers will get a much better Youtube experience
> then our IPv6 customers (at least for popular videos that are cached).

Why would their experience be "much better", given that a few extra
milliseconds of network latency won't have much impact on video
streaming (none, as soon as the video has started), and assuming that
your uplinks are not congested?

Gert Doering
        -- NetMaster
--
did you enable IPv6 on something today...?

Tel: +49 (89) 32356-444            USt-IdNr.: DE813185279