Address Management in IPv6

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Tue Jan 4 22:55:51 CET 2011

On 1/4/2011 12:38 PM, Andy Davidson wrote:

> On 4 Jan 2011, at 13:39, Graham Beneke wrote:
>
>> We currently store our subnet assignments in a wiki and don't record
>> host assignments.
>> What tools are available for tracking and recording IPv6 assignments
>> within an organisation? Does anyone have good or bad experiences with
>> particular apps?
>
> Last time I had to answer this question, I reached for Haci (coming from
> ipplan too). Haci's interface is a lot cleaner than ipplan. I understand
> that since I had to make that decision, the ipplan developer has added
> v6 support.
>
> However, next time I need to select an IPAM tools, I will definitely
> look again at 6connect IPAM - http://www.6connect.net/platform/ipam/. I
> had a demo of it recently, and it included out of the box a bunch of the
> automation scripts that one needs to bolt onto the FOSS tools to make
> them useful. I certainly recommend you look at this software.

With ARIN going to the REST interface late last year I would
strongly recommend before laying your cash down that you get an
ironclad guarantee from this company that IPAM will interface
to ARIN through the REST interface and NOT through the older
e-mail interface (that ARIN is phasing out) for SWIP filing,
before you buy it, or that any needed upgrades to doing this
will be free.

Ted